Monday, February 9, 2009

DANG

" The result is that a thousand years later we can read poems that remain absolutely accurate and moving descriptions of our most common and central experiences: love and loss, their reflections in the loveliness and transience of the natural world, and the effort to better understand the nature of being. We turn to these poems not to discover the past, but in order to experience the present more deeply. In this way they satisfy the test of any great literature, for it is our own lives we find illuminated in them."
- Jane Hirshfield

this is probably the only bit of text that has honestly just left me in awe, especially coming from a reading for a class. just thought I'd share. Might not seem as cool to those of you which read more than me, but it's nice. plus it defends poetry pretty well.

I will update later with an actual update on my life.

2 comments:

lara said...

lovely <3

It's funny I just read something for class that denies the written word's ability to make us feel in the present, its nice to hear a not-so-cynical response.

ShannonGayle said...

high five